We decided in our Thursday morning coffee shop study to read through the whole Bible! And then others said they'd like to do that as well, but can't join us weekday mornings. So, here's a way to join us now. We've made our way through the Pentateuch, the Torah, or first five books of the Hebrew Bible, and we'll get back to them when we circle back around. For now, join us in Joshua.
We've gotten through chapter 13 so far: Joshua has taken over the lead from Moses, conquered Jericho (cue famous song), and the rest of the land, and is now dividing the territory among the tribes.
Here's how we divided our reading, which may be helpful to you who are getting up to speed to join in:
- Joshua Intro + Chp 1
- Joshua 1 & 2 - Moses - hard act to follow (Book of Faith study) & Rahab - God using ordinary people
- Joshua 3 - Crossing Jordan
- Joshua 4:1-6:21 — Circumcision & Passover, Conquest of Jericho
- Joshua 6:22-7:26 - Jericho & Ai - victory & sin
- Joshua 8 - Ai & life’s battles
- Joshua 9 -10:15 - Deceivers deceived, what are miracles?
- Joshua 10:16 - 12 - Northern Campaign (Matthew Henry’s Commentary, Erdman’s Handbook to the Bible)
- Joshua 13-15
September 6 - Joshua 15-17 - “Joshua: A Journey of Faith” Horizons study - allotment of the land by tribe
We've used several resources, including Matthew Henry's Commentary, from 1706! It's a good place to start.